Recent content by Philippe D.

1. Philippe D.

Bocage : broken unit losing WA and being out of LOS of non ADJACENT units...

OK, that makes sense. A unit that breaks briefly loses WA, and barring another rule that lets it grab again, it cannot regain it because it's not in the list of moments when you grab WA. But B9.32 does let it grab WA again if there is another unbroken unit with it - in fact, it forces it to grab...
  2. Philippe D.

Bocage : broken unit losing WA and being out of LOS of non ADJACENT units...

Thanks for the clarification, I am not sure I was playing this right even though I've played my fair share of Bocage scenarios. As a followup - do things change if the broken unit is stacked with an unbroken unit? (in my mind, the fact that the unbroken unit kept WA allowed the broken unit to...
  3. Philippe D.

Bedburg Bite: Question?

We have a lower bound on Tim's eyesight: if he's able to play with counters, he should be able to read a similar-sized or larger font on a screen (though of course readability is not just a matter of font size, some people have a harder time reading on screen). And the zoomability of the eRB is...
  4. Philippe D.

Banzai charge

Just checked my 1st Ed. rulebook, and it's amazing how much the rules have been changed. There was no such thing as a Human Wave hex range, the units were just required to move "forward" and "in the same general direction" - not sure if this was interpreted as requiring that, on each impulse...
  5. Philippe D.

Banzai charge

Aren't the Human Wave rules one of those that changed significantly between the 1st and 2nd edition rules? The "15 years or so" might be a time when you played it correctly :)
  6. Philippe D.

Placing a DC at night?

The rule about DC is A23.3, it states the MF spent is what it would cost to enter the target Location. So unless there is an exception somewhere, it's pretty clear to me: entering the building would cost 3MF because it's night, so placing the DC does cost 3MF.
  7. Philippe D.

Random.org or internal VASL die roller

If you want to cheat at ASL, there are lots of simpler ways to do it than hack VASL. Purposely playing the rules wrong in your favor is probably the easiest.
  8. Philippe D.

One Is a Lonely Number

It definitely happens that I forget to log off after a gaming session. Occasionally I will connect before my opponent and stay alone in the room for a few minutes, but that accounts for a way smaller proportion of the time I stay alone in a VASL room.
  9. Philippe D.

SME CG-III Night Setup Area Question

In my playing the only Germans on the Fa map section were a Marder and squad stranded all alone on the hill, all others had managed to retreat to the Sa section and so benefited from Cloaking. Symmetrically, we played that Americans just on the Fa map section, but very close to the Sa section...
  10. Philippe D.

VASL versus ASL or Advanced_Squad_Leader

"Vassal" is a French word, so I pronounce it like the word. VASL, on the other hand, cannot be properly pronounced with a French accent, so I always spell it. Little possible confusion in the French-speaking community.
  11. Philippe D.

Motion Attempt, yeah...What about a Stop Attempt?

Or, if you're in Bog terrain, you can try changing VCA.
  12. Philippe D.

Encirclement A7.71

This is a common misreading of the rule. To count for Encirclement (or for inflicting DM status), the shot needs the potential to inflict a NMC or worse; this means that, among the possible DRs, at least one must result in NMC or worse. If the attack is leader-directed, or otherwise immune to...
  13. Philippe D.

D3.7 Vehicular malfunction of MA

I don't see where you can honestly see a loophole. C2.28 says all guns have B12 unless they have a different printed B#; it then refers to A9.7 for what a B# means (since A9.7 only talks about SW, and guns are not SWs), and there it is clear that an Original DR >= your B# results in malfunction...
  14. Philippe D.

New VASL Extension - BoardZoomer.vmdx

This is going to kill 90% of my post-scenario fun, while I stay up until early morning marking the map after the game... plus, it will also kill many opportunities for mistakes while doing it. Looks great, really. Are they as easily shown/hidden as the original control markers? They do seem to...
  15. Philippe D.

Second HASL after RF, need some help.

If you like early war battles (or at least, battles low on heavy metal), Inor by LFT is an absolute blast. The CGs are light on chrome (they include mechanisms for reinforcement attrition/delay due to battery fire, and the longer CG has rules to simulate troop rotation on the French side, but...