Vehicular AAMG with restricted fire areas. Can it change VCA to fire?

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Situation might be an advancing fire phase where the vehicle wishes to rotate and not fire or a traditional fire phase where it wishes to change VCA to fire. Can it? Can the Taczanka fire at the Italian colored units or would it need to spend a movement phase to reposition?

Note: the AAMG generally does not have a CA and cannot rotate VCA like a traditional BMG or CMG.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Situation might be an advancing fire phase where the vehicle wishes to rotate and not fire or a traditional fire phase where it wishes to change VCA to fire. Can it? Can the Taczanka fire at the Italian colored units or would it need to spend a movement phase to reposition?

Note: the AAMG generally does not have a CA and cannot rotate VCA like a traditional BMG or CMG.

View attachment 28787
View attachment 28786
Not 100% certain, but I think you can change VCA to fire.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
An AAMG is on a pintle mount on top of a vehicle. It should be able to fire 360 degrees without any CA change.
Always read Vehicle notes. MANY units don't have the 360 capability.

By not having a 360 degree firing arc. It has a CA of Rear 270. I'm thinking it gets to change as normal...BUT it's an AAMG and the rules likely don't make exceptions like this commons sense solution

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Fixed mount AAMGs are dealt with in D1.83

1.83 ANTI-AIRCRAFT MG (AAMG): The AAMG FP may be used either within or outside of its vehicular current TCA/VCA at no penalty; i.e., for rules purposes it is considered neither "turret-mounted" nor "bow-mounted" (3.51) [EXC: AAMG with restricted CA (e.g., German StuG IIIG or French H35) must pay the applicable Case A penalty for changing TCA/VCA as appropriate]. Unlike the BMG/CMG FP of a CT AFV or any MG on an unarmored vehicle, an AFV AAMG must be manned by CE (5.3) crew members in order to be used; a BU AFV cannot use its AAMG FP (although a Hero could do so in either case; A15.23). The Normal Range of an AAMG is eight hexes.

These are the exception to the normal rule that Case A penalties apply to weapons that are bow/turret mounted. Fixed mount AAMGs don't fall into either category but are treated as if they do. Therefore the Taczanka can change CA to fire subject to Case A penalties and it follows that it can also have a "free" VCA change if it can still use non-intensive fire. I think that there is a Q&A somewhere which confirms this but I have been unable to locate it. This means either that I have not looked hard enough or it is an early warning sign of impending senility!

Last edited:

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Related question: Are there any DRMs to a.CE AFV MA AAMG that fires through different CAs between shots while inside a building? It seems not, but given the penalties incurred by other weapons when firing outside a given CA while in a building, maybe I just haven’t found the rule. Cheers

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Related question: Are there any DRMs to a.CE AFV MA AAMG that fires through different CAs between shots while inside a building? It seems not, but given the penalties incurred by other weapons when firing outside a given CA while in a building, maybe I just haven’t found the rule. Cheers
There are no DRM penalties unless the AAMG has a restricted CA, in which case any Case A penalty would be doubled. It would also appear that it is not even restricted to firing through the same CA after its first shot since it is not a SW MG.

Reactions: EJ1

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks much for this. When doing the 'dance of death' with oncoming vehicles trying for side/rear shots, these vehicles could have an advantage.

Not really sure why a vehicle with a restricted AAMG can do an extra spin, while vehicles without a restricted AAMG cannot, but that looks like it is in the rules, so that is the way to play it.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks much for this. When doing the 'dance of death' with oncoming vehicles trying for side/rear shots, these vehicles could have an advantage.

Not really sure why a vehicle with a restricted AAMG can do an extra spin, while vehicles without a restricted AAMG cannot, but that looks like it is in the rules, so that is the way to play it.
Your view is shared by one of my regular opponents!

Weekly Dose of ASL Episode 2 Rules Rubbish 1 (youtube.com)

I am the "rules lawyer" that he refers to. :LOL: